Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Look Under the Hood

It's been years, quite literally since my desktop has been that empty. A quick peak at a portion of my screen however shows some interesting and perhaps perverse dealings. Anyway, like I said, it's been years and I've finally cracked. I used to use exclusively Windows 2000. I'm sort of one of those guys who's extremely slow to upgrade OS, case in point I was pulled away from Windows 95 kicking and screaming. I NEVER wanted to touch ME and when XP came out I was very wary. So now a couple of months into the sinking ship called Vista I've finally caught up with the new millennium of PC useage.

On top of upgrading to XP, the entire computer itself resembles little of what it used to. Thanks to me buddy over on the Island, I'm finally up to 2.8 Gigs on a P4 (though it's an older core) and I've broken the 1 Gig RAM barrier for the first time. The new monitor I mentioned earlier also prompted me to purchase a new graphics card to take advantage, though I stayed very cheap and got an eVGA GeForce 7600 GS. Amazingly enough though, this sub-$100 card is actually quite good, though I guess Half-Life 2, Granado Espada and Guild Wars aren't exactly PC killing at this point they did get a "new lease on life" sort of deal by having some very cool effects on now. I'm finally able to see what all this shader 2.0 stuff is about, though that screen shot from HL2 : Episode 1 really doesn't do it justice till you get to some of the later levels which abuse the dynamic lighting.

I had heard that this card can pump out Oblivion, though I haven't got the game yet I'll be trying to get a copy to see for myself. Though I imagine that with these specs I would only be able to play Oblivion on the old faithful 1024 x 768 resolution, it's still more than enough as I went a little insane playing Guild Wars (I bumped that one up to 1440 x 900) and yet it still ran pretty smooth. Guild Wars is made for those people who have some older specs on their machines, so naturally it looks good on older machines but if you're fortunate enough you end up with a pretty spectacular looking game.

Granado Espada looks really nice. I'm surprised by how well this game ran overall, though it chocked a bit in town that seems to be the expectation for any game that loads in so much so quickly. I really love how awesome the models in this game look though it is a bit much with them adventuring in those outfits. I'm guessing my Warlock there doesn't feel even a little bit embarrassed? Her boobs are basically hanging right out of her clothes there, that's just the half of it as you can see. It's a shame that this is a pay to play game but news out of Singapore is that it's a $5 per month charge so it's not too bad.

No comments: