Friday, October 19, 2007

Making War Fun for all Ages!

Seriously speaking, Call of Duty 4's demo hit PCs a few weeks earlier and it is an impressive wartime simulation if not an entirely realistic one. But here's the thing, I had thought that this was going to be slightly futuristic and thus a crock of bullocks when it came to weaponry. Lo-and-behold my military knowledge may be quite lacking but I looked it up and that is an M4. So the machine guns are real enough but what about the rest of the game?

Laser wars in night vision. This is just crazy, kinda makes one wonder what the Paris Hilton video might have been like if she were poor...in the middle east...during a terrorist sting operation. Still it's a cool visual to see all the laser pointers moving around. I freaked once or twice thinking the enemies had the same pointers so I thought I was being targeted. It is a nice way of allies being able to pick out exactly what direction you and your buds are aiming in.

There's one part of the demo that has you pick up what's called the "Javelin" which was a lock-on laser guided missile for mobile weaponry like tanks and helicopters. I didn't think that was real either after seeing it's ridiculous firing arc (the thing shoots straight into the sky and then turns dramatically crashing into the target from above). Then I saw this on youtube.com promptly demonstrating how much of an army n00b I be. Good times!

No comments: