Saturday, July 14, 2007

Haruhi-ism, Figurines and Random tidbits.

Suzumiya Haruhi returns.

http://www.moetron.com/2007/07/07/haruhi-2-formal-announcement-9pm-jst/#more-752

A bit late to be mentioning but where ever there's space, there's Haruhi. This just days after I received my Max Factory Haruhi after much hardship. I would say it is for now the penultimate Haruhi figure in existence. Unfortunately Max Factory deems it necessary to limit this creation to but a few thousand and thus only those few have been able to procure one. Perhaps it is best, after all there can only be so much Haruhi in this world. Which brings me to another point, why does everyone seem to make "Nurse" Mikuru or "Bunnygirl" Mikuru? What's wrong with "Maid" Mikuru who we see most of the time in the story?

Anyway, there still isn't an announced date but just the knowledge that it's in the works is enough for me. A new animated series, three separate video games for PSP, PS2 and Wii, a growing line of PVC merchandise and an obsessive Otaku NEET fanbase. This series has it all when it comes to "money in the bank". Overrated? Probably, even I can admit to that much. But I still find it fun due to the interactions of the characters. The novels were all pretty easy reads and the crazy time-line of events helps keep a certain interest level.


Alter Rolls Along.

Alter Co. makes some of the best PVC figures I've seen. I only own one of their products at the moment (their 1/8 scale Caren Ortensia) but the quality of their work is impressive. On their homepage http://www.alter-web.jp/ they've posted a new figure of a character named Donne Anonime. I don't really know what series she hails from but it's pretty impressive. I'd be a little worried about how this figure will hold up in the long run thanks to her single leg balancing act there.

Idolmasters go to the Beach!

Ok, this show is really stretching the boundaries of reality here. Girls who are Masters of giant robots known as Idols. They are peddling to the Japanese Otaku moe fetish to the extreme. It's a little baffling to me that they make an X-Box 360 idol simulator then the anime series is about battling asteroids and robots. Anyway, still I found that I do have a favorite idolmaster design : "baka ribbon". Her obsession with penguins and her seeming romance with her idol (yeah I just did write that) is just downright scary. But on the plus side, she makes a great PVC figure :

http://www.hlj.com/product/GSC96278

And for those of you who are inclined they do have Yukiho as well in case Haruka isn't your thing :

http://www.hlj.com/product/GSC96279

Gundamnit : Double "Oh Boy".

Over at Gunota they posted a translated interview with director of the new animated series Gundam 00 (pronounced "double oh" not zero zero), Seiji Mizushima. You can read the article yourself but for the most part this interview is starting to drain away my enthusiasm towards the franchise as a whole. I guess I knew that any new Gundam series would have the title mecha be positioned as an almost "indestructible force of nature" but it gets a little ridiculous after a couple of years of seeing that. The themes being used in here seem to be similar to those in Gundam Wing. Quite frankly, I find the idealism in those themes stretching the bounds of reason. I will still check it out probably, I was very surprised by Gundam SeeD after all (in a good way) and again in SeeD Destiny (in a horrific way) so who knows?

Zombie Apocalypse Rating Index is : Low

No comments: